We are excited to be running our Holiday Hot Meals ministry this year. Even though COVID is challenging us in many ways, the chance to (safely) bring a big helping of love on the holidays to area shut-ins will happen.
Here are some of the precautions we are taking to make this a safe and successful ministry:
- All volunteers will wear facemasks that go over the nose for the entire ministry. If a volunteer has any symptoms, they will not be allowed to enter the facility or participate in any way.
- Instead of volunteer-made desserts, we are using commercially prepared ones to minimize food contact. Don’t worry, bakers, we’ll be back to offering your homemade goodness once we’re out of this situation!
- Volunteer staffing will be limited to no more than 10 people inside First Lutheran church. The kitchen will be limited to 4 volunteers and 1 dishwasher. The packing crew, who will stay out of the kitchen area, will be limited to 5 people.
- Drivers will stay in their cars in the parking lot. Our usual system has drivers coming into the dining room to check-in and then take their meals kits to their cars. This year drivers will arrive in the parking lot and call in to our check-in volunteer (the number will be posted on a sign). Volunteers will then bring the meal kits to the driver’s cars.
- Drivers will sanitize their hands (with provided sanitizer) prior to any time they want to touch the pre-packaged meals. This means hands will be sanitized prior to each stop on a route.
- Meals will be left at the door of recipients prior to knocking on the door/ringing the bell. Drivers can then back up 6-10 feet to greet recipients before leaving.